Monday, September 25, 2006

a real omelette

My son has an obsession with planes. So we thought that taking him to a small local airport would be a good idea. It probably would be. Except that we just happened to be there for a stretch of time when no single plane wanted to fly by. What a fruitful family excursion that was…

Disappointed and hungry we ended up lunching at a nearby Burger King. Veggy burgers though. I guess that’s healthier, so is excusable…

Still, feeling slightly guilty, I decided that making something for dinner was a must. But feeling lazy I didn’t dare venture into anything more complicated than an omelette. But I did try to make it fancy. In fact, I pulled out my trusty Julia Child cookbook, and read a whole section on omelettes before attempting my own. (Not that I’ve never made an omelette before, but I really wanted to be craftier than usual). So in went butter instead of usual oil, and some shredded cheese for extra fun factor.



I have to say, it was a darn good omelette. I’ve surprised myself.

In fact, I must say that Julia Child’s “Mastering French Cooking” book is the most helpful tool in my kitchen. Though I’ve never tried any of the more elaborate recipes in it, I find myself constantly referring there for the basics. Something about the black and white hand drawn illustrations make the dishes seem less intimidating. And something about the way it’s written makes me think “I can do it, it obviously can be done.” Until this book the word “French cooking” sent me into a nervous frenzy, wanting to leave the kitchen forever and bury my head somewhere under the pillows mumbling an incoherent “me not worthy”. But now I feel confident that even though my omelettes would not be served in a posh restaurant, they are certainly good enough for me and my family.

So thank you Julia.

(And don’t worry, omelette was not the only thing for dinner. There were also samosas and masala dosa take-out, courtesy of my husband. But since he is also the one who ate it all, I decided that it needed no elaboration here.)

Posted by vasilisa @ 11:47 p.m.

Read or Post a Comment

Hi Vasilisa
My first time here. You have a nice blog and a very cute son! Will be back soon.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 10:43 a.m. #
 

hey cool! having a foodblog has certainly improved my diet. and it made me switch to organic food (the coolest thing is to stroll around on my local market every once in a while). the biggest success though is that i completely banned those ready-to-serve meals and the junk takeaways from my kitchen.

for a single girl this is doable, but i imagine it is A LOT harder if you actually have to take care of a family.

i think you're doing a great job! (and your kid is really really cute!)

Posted by Blogger tschoerda @ 1:04 p.m. #
 

hema: Welcome to my blog!

tschoerda: yeah, something about having to report what you eat makes you come face to face with your habits :-) In fact, when I thought yestarday that my post would be BK only and a take-out, I felt I MUST make something, even if only an omelette... otherwise there was that guilt feeling...

I obviously haven't banned take-outs, but I'm hoping that by the time the kid is born (i.e. done with morning sickness) and life becomes semi-normal (i.e. have some sleep) I'll be on the right track to cook for us all.

Posted by Blogger vasilisa @ 1:44 p.m. #
 

Hi, first time here! Omelette looks delicious as far as I can see beyond tomatoes :))
Samosas and Masala dosas for your hubby intrigues me! :D A south Indian ??
I have some desserts in my blog if you like, Mango Cobbler!! Tempting enough:))

Posted by Blogger FH @ 4:51 p.m. #
 

Harmonia:

Mind??? I'd be ecstatic! Welcome!

PS: off to checking out your blog :-)

Posted by Blogger vasilisa @ 4:54 p.m. #
 

foodie's hope:

Thanks for the compliments! :-)

He is Indian (I'm Russian), North though. But all kind of Indian food is popular in this house :-). I'm trying to learn some recipes. For starters, curry powder is one of the most popular spices around here.

Posted by Blogger vasilisa @ 5:08 p.m. #
 

ihf:
Thanks :-)

We are looking forward to taking him to a plane museum in Ottawa sometime in coming spring and summer. I'm not sure he understands that planes on the ground are also planes, but by spring he should connect the dots :-)

Posted by Blogger vasilisa @ 11:11 p.m. #
 
<< Home

About

I'm a 29 year old mom of two! A toddler (kiddo one) and a new baby (kiddo junior). I am also the most horrible (as in I barely ever do it) cook that I have met in my life. This blog is a diary of my attempts to feed my hungry growing family

PS: My name is not actually Vasilisa... But I find that honest reporting comes easier when there is a shred of anonymity. (Apparently, posting pics of my sons doesn't count...)

PPS: For those of you wondering where on the planet I am: I'm cosily tacked away in the Torontonian suburbia of the Great White North (Canada).

The Beginnings

What is all this?

Listening

To music, naturally.

Reading

All kinds of books. Haven't figured out how to post links to them yet.

E-mail me

Yes, you can actually email me:

Vasilia

Real Savvy Mom Blogger