Monday, November 06, 2006

In which you'll learn how to make the perfect lasagna...

Today the hubs stayed at home, as in he had a day off, and we were all planning to go out for dinner, except… there was a hockey game on TV. Which is completely something that cannot-be-missed-and-has-to-be-watched-because-it-is-all-so-important (despite the fact that the season has just started -- but common sense is lost on men enwrapped in the intricacies of chasing a piece of rubber with wooden sticks on ice… But I really shouldn’t complain, cause I’ve been guilty of wasting precious hours watching running on ice without any puck in sight – a.k.a. figure skating…).

So, anyways, after waiting and waiting I grew incredibly hungry and realized that I will have to live up to yesterday’s promise and make something myself. And I did.

Behold the dinner:




See the lasagna?



Isn’t it beautiful?

And the recipe is so complicated… I mean the directions, they are, like, so mind-boggling… Really… Extra-super-duper-complicated…


Are you ready?


Ok, here it goes:


Pull out a box from the freezer that says “Vegetarian Lasagna” on it. Take the lasagna out of the box. Read instructions that say: “put it in the oven”. Put it in the oven.

Yup… It’s a pre-made frozen lasagna bought during one of those inspirational store trips… (Cause I haven’t actually conquered real lasagna yet… I never even tried… But I’m pretty good at following box instructions…)

But since I promised cooking last night, I also made a quick fried potatoes/mushroom/onions dish.



(Recipe can be found here.) Just so you don’t start throwing tomatoes at me… Unless those are nice fresh yummy organic tomatoes… Then bring them on!

So now I feel truly accomplished and deserving of something nice. Like those diamond earrings that in honor of the upcoming completely uncommercialized Christmas season are now on every TV channel.

Or maybe a mini-statue to commemorate myself for posterity.

Or at least a cake. Yes, a cake will do.

Ahem...

Ok, bye now, I’m off searching for a cake…

Posted by vasilisa @ 11:01 p.m.

Read or Post a Comment

Ta dahhhhh. I officially award you the gold medal in blogging after morning sickness. You have guts girl. Well done. Hope you keep feeling better.

The lasagna doesn't look too bad for frozen.

Posted by Blogger Alexys Fairfield @ 1:06 a.m. #
 

I have one recipe for a spinach lasangna, and it basically consists of mixing some frozen spinach and riocotta and smearing it on a few noodles. Very labor intensive. But far more often I bake the pre-made, frozen version. Stouffer's makes a great vegetable lasanga with white sauce. Totally worth it, despite the almost 500-calorie penalty.

Posted by Blogger Kelley @ 11:05 a.m. #
 

You are a much more inspired cook than me - and I'm not pregant and having morning sickness. You deserve an out of the freezer dinner. You did make those yummy potatoes, after all.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 1:12 p.m. #
 

I make fresh dinners from Costco too! Then there's my fresh ramen noodles made with holy tap water and who doesn't love hamburger helper?

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 12:16 a.m. #
 
<< Home

About

I'm a 29 year old mom of two! A toddler (kiddo one) and a new baby (kiddo junior). I am also the most horrible (as in I barely ever do it) cook that I have met in my life. This blog is a diary of my attempts to feed my hungry growing family

PS: My name is not actually Vasilisa... But I find that honest reporting comes easier when there is a shred of anonymity. (Apparently, posting pics of my sons doesn't count...)

PPS: For those of you wondering where on the planet I am: I'm cosily tacked away in the Torontonian suburbia of the Great White North (Canada).

The Beginnings

What is all this?

Listening

To music, naturally.

Reading

All kinds of books. Haven't figured out how to post links to them yet.

E-mail me

Yes, you can actually email me:

Vasilia

Real Savvy Mom Blogger